The Step 1 examination is the first component of the USMLE and is taken by medical students and graduates seeking to practice medicine in the United States. The overall purpose of the Step 1 exam is to assess an individual’s basic science knowledge. The content that comprises this multiple choice exam is organized into general science principles and individual organ systems. Most of the questions place a strong emphasis on the application of basic science principles in the practice of clinical medicine.
USMLE is 3 step Exam which provides essential Gateway to move and study USA. This license Examination provides Convenience chance to talented students to achieve practical skills and residency abroad
Just like – A driver who wish to drive a vehicle, he must acquire a driving license, Similarly A Doctor who desires to Practice and pursue his Career abroad (USA), he/she must have a License to operate which he/she can achieve by Passing through USMLE
WHY TO DO USMLE ?
USMLE Not only commits your access point to settle in USA but it is acceptable in Middle East Countries Like Qatar, Dubai and other Countries.
USMLE is more preferable in Middle East than other Licensing Examination and Gives you the Edge over the other candidates to achieve residency
HOW TO QUALIFY USMLE Step 1 ?
Step 1 includes test items in the following content areas:
- Behavioural sciences
- Interdisciplinary topics, such as nutrition, genetics, and aging
Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Lecture Note – Anatomy, Behavioural Science , Microbiology, Immunology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Physiology.
- Goljan Rapid Review Pathology
- Bio statics and Epidemiology
- Kaplan Medical USMLE Medical Ethics – 100 Cases (Behavioural science)
- USMLE First Aid 2014 (For All Subject Reviews)
CHOOSE THE RIGHT RESOURCES
Choosing the right resources will depend partly on your learning style, but there are a few that are must-haves.
1. Kaplan Series
Kaplan series consist of set of Books with Anatomy, Microbiology, Immunology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Physiology Subject.
It comes with 17 DVD’s of Video Content related to subjects.
Pathology From Kaplan should be Avoided instead it’s better to go for Goljan, It’s the best
2. First Aid for the USMLE Step 1
I don’t say this for very many things, but First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 is a must-have.
First Aid is essentially a very condensed version of most of the things you’ll learn in your first and second year of medical school (at least the material that will be covered on the USMLE exam). If you use this book during your curriculum, you’ll be able to have a summary of the things you’ve learned,
One tip I have is to not spend a ton of time on the biochemistry section of First Aid. Understand the key steps that have to do with certain diseases (e.g. what does lead poisoning or B12 deficiency effect), but don’t try to memorize full pathways.
3. Rapid Review Pathology by Goljan
This book is similar to First Aid in that the material is condensed into bullet points. However, it has more information about the “why” of diseases than First Aid.
It gives great explanations about pathophysiology and this material is stressed heavily on Step 1.
4. A Question Bank
There’s always the debate about whether Kaplan or USMLE World is the better question bank. USMLE world is better and you will love it.U world is an online testing service software with 2200 bank of question pool
The thing that impress the most about USMLE World was how similar the questions on the QBank were to those on the actual exam. When I came to the test, I felt as though I was just taking another set of questions from USMLE World.
Also, the explanations of questions are great. They give detailed explanations of why the right answer is right and why the wrong answers are wrong. This made the QBank a very efficient study tool.
So, It is recommended buying the QBank for the amount of time you have committed solely to your USMLE review (probably 2-3 months) Costing $159.
Study strategy and Schedule
Month 1-2. Sunday to Friday read a new section in First Aid USMLE and the corresponding section in Goljan’s book. Read new material in the morning , new material in the afternoon and review the material from the day at night . The night review would sometimes include QBank questions on the related topics. On Saturday review the things that I had studied in the previous days. This would include questions about the topics.
Take breaks at times during my studies to go play games, Exercise, or watch TV. I study a lot better when I take breaks between. You might be different.
Your main goal in these months Should be to finish going through First Aid and Goljan twice by two weeks before the test date.
Month 3. This is where you should start doing more questions from Qbank U world. Finish most of First Aid and Goljan.
Test day. On test day, make sure you bring snacks and food. It’s a very, very long test. I would also recommend taking all of your breaks.
So, with all of this, you will able to surpass your target score . Again, this is what work mostly and may not work as well for you.
But, KAPLAN, USMLE World, First Aid and Goljan Pathology are top-notch resources no matter your study preferences.
- If you counter any hard topics which Mold Hard bitten time while referring Kaplan Series then you Must Watch video lectures included within Kaplan series
For which Subject i should watch video Lectures?
- Physiology Video lecture are Mandatory
- Behavioural Science Video Lecture Should be Must Seen
- Refer Genetic videos in Biochemistry Section
- Pharmacology Lectures
- First complete your Kaplan lecture and you don’t need to watch videos for each topic. go for it only when you don’t understand the topic. There is no need to watch Kaplan DVDs of all subjects. But pharmacology and behavioural sciences are a must.
- No Text Book is necessary, Don’t waste your time in reading Full Content of textbook, it’s Unnecessary and it would not efficacious.
- Orient yourself
.Join Library or Peaceful Environment
Start with Easy Subjects Like Physiology and Biochemistry
Don’t Panic yourself and take distant from Family affairs and issues
Consistency and Focus is essential
First read is all about understanding and making concepts. Don’t emphasize on cramming at this stage
First Read on All Subjects can take about 3 Months, so be patience
Stay away from Cross Questions from Position Holders which may depress you.
Turn off your cell phones when Exams are around the corner.
- USMLE Step 1 Exams are Conducted in pro metric centre in Karachi and Islamabad
- The exam is an eight-hour computer-based test taken in a single-day,
- From 1st January to 15th the USMLE Exams are not conducted due to General Holidays in United States, so you not apply in these days
- Before Starting the Exam you will be shown a tutorial Video of about 12 mins, Showing Pattern regarding exams. But you can skip to save your time by watching it on the web before Exam
- The exam consists on 8 Blocks in which questions of different Subjects are randomly arranged
- In each Block there are 46 questions to answer, Mostly based on clinically scenario type
- Time Limit for each block is 60 Min which consist of 46 questions, that means you will have 78 seconds to answer each question
- During whole exam time, the test taker is allotted a cumulative 45 minutes (during the test day) for personal breaks.
- To increase your Stamina and Concentration during this lengthy Exam you must use CNS stimulants as Caffeine and avoid amphetamine drugs
- Be Confident, Don’t Panic, Stay Focused
- Do Easy Questions First and Later Difficult time taking questions
- Attempt Every Question as there is No Negative Marking
- Take Deep Breath for anxiety and Panic
Total Time allowed for this Examination is 8 hours including your 1 hour Break time and are 322 question to reply
- Entire exam fees is about $1030 ?
- Including the USMLE Qbank 2 month Subscription Costing $159
p>Total Price = $1180
Answer of Queries and feedback
- ideal time to attempt for USMLE is in Final year MBBS
- every one has his own style of study. u need to schedule ur time for studies n other stuff.
- DON’T STUDY ONLY, DO OTHER WORK ALSO like watching tv etc
- Pointless efforts are never productive, it’s not speed, its direction which takes you to the right place
- last read to First Aid after uworld along with Uworld self-assessment online and you’re ready for the exam.
- Note: Do first aid and uworld very well. They cover almost everything asked in exam.
1. Microscopic Slide of Staphylococcus.
KATZUNG Pharmacology Slides
1. GABA Receptor: